Great Neck Public Schools
Inservice Institute Information For Participants
Courses DO NOT require approval of the Inservice Institute if offered by:
- The Inservice Institute or Great Neck Teacher Center
- BOCES/SCOPE or NYSUT.
- College and University graduate courses. (Transcripts must be submitted directly to the Human Resources Dept.)
The following opportunities REQUIRE approval by the Inservice Institute. It is strongly recommended that approval be obtained prior to registering for these activities:
- Curriculum Research Projects developed in consultation with the Inservice Institute and approved by the appropriate Assistant Superintendent.
- Publication of scholarly books related to education. The book must be submitted after publication.
- Travel (3 consecutive weeks/21 days) that is deemed to have educational value or benefit to the faculty member.
- Courses offered by institutions and agencies not on the above list.
- College and University undergraduate courses.
- Courses offered by the Great Neck Adult Program.
To ensure that proper inservice credit is granted, please submit the appropriate form and supporting documentation immediately upon course completion. Faculty members are reminded that:
- Not more than 12 Inservice credits may be earned during each school year no more than 34 may be earned in total over a career.
- Credit will be granted only once for each Inservice course bearing the same title and/or content.
- There are prescribed limits to the number of Inservice credits that can be earned within each salary class for salary advancement purposes. For these limitations, faculty members should consult the current G.N.T.A. Contract (Office Staff and Paraprofessionals should consult their associations for guidelines).
Other pertinent guidelines:
- If a person does not attend all class sessions, inservice credit will not be granted. However, the hours completed will be maintained in MyLearningPlan under "Your Profile" and, if applicable, may be used towards the required New York State Professional Development hours.
- Requests for salary class transfers must be submitted by October 1 or February 1. Except in the event of administrative error, salary changes will begin with the current semester.
- If a course is oversubscribed, course participants will be placed on a wait list.
The Committee seeks input from all members of the faculty and staff. Additional information about the Great Neck Inservice program may be obtained by calling Joanne Abbriano in the Office of Instruction at the Phipps Administration Building, x4014, or send e-mail to Joanne Abbriano at the Inservice Institute